Friday, September 9, 2011

Neil's race reports

British Elite Super Series 2011 – Neil Eddy



The season got underway with an emphatic win at Marazion standard distance triathlon in May, with a winning margin of over 10mins. This was a great way to train up leading towards the super series. The series began with a sprint distance race at Blenheim. The race was a strong start, but with a little disappointment that I and team mate Dave Bartlett didn’t close down a small gap which then grew and cost us time. We had thought the group building with us would close the gap and didn’t want to waste our own energy, hindsight is a wonderful thing but a strong 20th place finish to start.

Windsor was the next race up the Sunday after Blenheim, this time I was going to give it everything out of the swim and early bike to get on that lead pack. The swim was great, and I was amongst the race favourites on the bike. Although the race was almost over for me early on with the conditions terrible there was a predictable crash which somehow and a lot of luck I survived whilst taking a drinking and then smashing into the two guys who crashed out of the race. However the race went on and I finished just outside the top 10 in 11th, but in the mean time overtaking Richard Stannard and Tim Don who was struggling with the cold and wet weather. By far one of my greatest races and one too remember. Following this race I had a late entry for the National Championships. I lead out the swim and was in pole position for the whole race and became the 2011 National Champion 25-29 years.

This series moved on to a new race and new format in Canary Wharf, both Dave and I were intrigued by the super sprint semi and final in one evening. Unfortunately I went into the race at the end of a stomach bug and this showed on the bike. I had a great 400m swim coming out in the front 3 or 4, but could not stick on any wheel. It was a little frustrating I could show my good form, but illness happens and I finished just outside of the qualifying for the final in 14th. An amazing experience and the possibility that these race formats may become an evening series much like the cycling way.

The final race of the series Virgin London Triathlon and often the hardest competition with more international athletes. Again amazingly both Dave and I were side by side in the swim, 70 guys and we still manage to end up next to each other with a top 10 swim. After 3miles on the bike the race was together and we found ourselves at the front of the largest triathlon in the world. The bike was solid, and with attacks happening left right and centre in the last 8 miles the legs were feeling it. There was about 8 attacks and the pace was high, I got to the front of the pack for transition only to get cut up on the final corner so that hard work ended with me towards the back. The run was something else the top guys running 30min 10km pace. Needless to say I didn’t follow e.g. would not be able too. The race was brilliant and I finished 19th and the goal was top 20. Running is the key too next year.

By the end of the series I finished in 20th place in the series, a great result and something I aimed to do. Now in the next few weeks to round of the season Perranporth and Nearwater trying to regain some form and motivation with my main races finishing at the start of August this is a fun way to finish.

Neil Eddy